more doctor stuff…

So, after THIS yesterday, it was confirmed via the cardio himself that it’s not likely to be my heart that is at fault in all this coughing/hacking/allergy-ish crud.

He agreed it was probably a good idea to go ahead with the stress test and echo my GP had ordered, but that he didn’t think there was any heart issue causing the problems I’m having now.  So they went ahead and set all that up for first thing tomorrow morning here in town.

I am still coughing and hacking up junk occasionally.  My GP switched me to a different antibiotic, gave me another steroid shot and a script for a long course of oral steroids.

She told me to hold off on the oral steroids until she could see if there was an opening at the allergist for me in Lexington.  She said I could get in a lot quicker up there than waiting for an appointment here.

So this morning, I got a text telling me I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon with the allergist in Lexington.  Great.  I have no clue how long those tests will take or if I’ll feel like driving myself to Lexington afterward.

I talked to the receptionist at the GP’s and she told me no, I wouldn’t have time to make the Lexington appointment after the stress and echo at the cardiologist, so to I told her I’d rather keep the allergist’s appointment.  Makes the most sense to me.

I’ve never been to the office in Lexington and don’t know where it is, so I had to call up there and get the address.  Well, that was after the kinda goofy gal tried to explain to me how to get there.  Egads!  I would much rather have an address I can pop into the GPS, thanks!

So I’m pretty sure I can get there okay.  Tommy’s so busy with work anymore, besides all the crap stuff he has on his plate at home fixing other people’s stuff, he can’t go with me anywhere anymore.

Seriously, we hardly have any time together these days that we aren’t both wiped completely out.  It really sucks and I’m fighting really hard to keep from being really down about it.  Ugh!

Anyway, I rescheduled my cardio tests for Tuesday.

I’m not doing much of anything today.  The coughing is intermittent, which is better than constant, but my head is so stopped up and I can’t seem to get any relief from that at all.

In other news, while I was at my GP appointment yesterday, Tommy called to tell me he’d been attacked by yellow jackets on the job.

Gah!  He came home one day last week with one single sting inside his upper arm that looked nasty!  It had puffed up and was spread out as big as his hand!  I gave him some Benedryl and made him sit in his recliner.  It didn’t’ take long for him to fall asleep, something else he has needed really bad.

Yesterday, though, he had about 15 stings.  He was asking me where the Benedryl was and I told him he needed to get his butt to the ER.  He flatly refused and asked if I thought my doc would give him a shot.

Really?  Sheesh… I told him I’d ask, but I doubted it since he wasn’t a patient there.  Of course, I was right.  I told him to take the Benedryl with him, drive straight to his doctor’s office and get himself taken care of.

All this conversation was going on while I was getting my own steroids administered to the butt.  Sheesh…

In a few minutes, he called back saying they had told him to get to the ER.  (why doesn’t he ever learn to listen to me??) but he was still fussing and making noise as if he wasn’t going to go.  I told him, Look jack, I’m sick, I’m at the doctor’s office myself, I already had my shot in the butt, the least you can do is go get yours before something bad happens and you stress me out EVEN MORE than I already am, okay?

That seemed to shut him up with the excuses, but I still wasn’t sure he was going to do what I told him.

In the meantime, however, I had my own doc in the room and needed to talk to her.  She switched my antibiotics to the first one she started to give me last week.  It’s basically the same thing I had been taking, only a tad stronger.  Remember, I have major issues with several antibiotics, so I have to be really careful what I take.  But it was pretty clear the Keflex wasn’t doing anything.

The main thing with the Omnicef last time was it didn’t seem to work either, however, that was with an ear infection, so we decided to try it again anyway.

I finally got done in the GP’s and headed up the street to the cardiologist, where I was almost late already.  I texted Tommy to make sure he had gone on to the hospital.  He said he was in a room already since they had taken him back ASAP.

So I went in and registered.  It didn’t take too long for them to call me back.  The nurse did an EKG first thing and then left me to wait for the doctor.  He wasn’t long either, and asked me a bunch of questions.  Mostly he seemed confused about why I was there.  I told him I didn’t believe my heart was to blame for the coughing either, but that my GP wanted to be sure there wasn’t something going on since I have type 1 and he agreed it would be a good idea to do the tests.

After I got out of there, I called Tommy again. He was waiting for them to give him a shot.  He wanted me to go eat lunch with him.  I needed lunch since it was about 1 o’clock by now and my sugar was in the 60’s already.

I sat in the parking lot and ate a few Lifesavers before heading across town to Cheddar’s where Tommy wanted to meet.

By the time I got over there, he still hadn’t got his shot yet, and I didn’t want to sit in the restaurant feeling like crap, so I leaned my seat back and rested while he was getting that stuff done.

We didn’t piddle around eating and then headed home.  Tommy stopped by the pharmacy to pick up our collective meds.  Mom came by just after Tommy got here.  She was checking to see what had happened at the doctors.

Tommy and I had planned to make a run to the grocery store since we are out of a ton of stuff, but we were both exhausted, so I proposed a power nap and then go to get groceries.  It didn’t take twice to convince him, so I was almost asleep before my head hit the pillow.  He apparently didn’t sleep much.  Maybe his shot kept him awake.  He’s more sensitive to stuff like that than I am.  There’s not a whole lot that can keep me from sleeping.

We got our groceries and picked up a pizza on the way back home.  Definitely not the best option since I had a steroid shot running through me again, jacking my sugars up.  But it was what Tommy wanted and I couldn’t think of anything else.  I emptied the rest of my reservoir on supper, though.  sigh

So today, I get a text telling me I have an afternoon appointment with the allergist in Lexington.  I called to see if it was going to be possible for me to make it up there after the echo and stress test that  morning.  They said no, so i asked them to reschedule the tests because I am PRAYING that seeing the allergist will be more helpful than anything else.

I’m still hacking but not constantly.  The congestion is a bit worse, but more tight than loose.  I’m so beyond ready to be over this.  I feel like I have fallen off the world, ya know?  It feels like I am stuck here, trying to …well, most of the time it feels like I’m just trying not to die, and the rest of the world just goes on without me.  Ugh!  I just don’t know why none of these meds are helping.  If this is really all just allergies?  I mean, the ONLY “new” meds I’ve been given since getting so sick are the steroids and antibiotics.  All the allergy medicines I was ALREADY taking on a daily basis.

I just pray that we can get some answers soon.  I really need to stop being so sick.  I mean, I am REALLY done with this stuff!